Likely, you have heard of P90X by now. If you would like to learn more about how it actually works and what the P90X program includes, please continue reading. P90X is a home exercise system developed by Tony Horton in conjunction with Beachbody. Tony Horton is well known in the personal training field. P90X claims to significantly improve physical fitness in 90 days through a segmented training program combined with a nutrition plan.
The secret behind the P90X system is an advanced training technique called muscle confusion, which accelerates the fitness process by constantly introducing new moves and routines so that your body never plateaus over time. The more you confuse the muscle, the harder your body has to work to keep up. Also, the more variety you put into your workout, the better and faster your results will be.
The nutrition plan is composed of three phases. The first 30 days features higher protein and lower carbohydrates to teach the user the relationship between carbohydrates and energy. P90X users then move to the second phase, which increases the percentages of carbohydrates. The third phase is a higher carbohydrate diet. Users progress through the phases of the diet that coincide with program change. Each program lasts thirty days.
Phase 1: Fat Shredder – has you eat a lot of protein and not so much carbs and fats.
Phase 2: Energy Booster – has you eat more carbs than phase 1.
Phase 3: Endurance Maximizer – has you eat more carbs and low calorie fats than the previous phases.
Here is a look at the 12 DVD workouts that are included in the P90X workout. They are as listed by Beachbody. Each of the 12 highly diverse and intense DVD workouts focuses on either a specific set of muscle groups or a unique training technique.
• Workout One: Chest & Back. This superset chest-and-back-blasting workout emphasizes two classic upper-body exercises–push-ups and pull-ups–to build strength and develop shape. The combination of these two push and pull movements will help you burn loads of calories while simultaneously attacking, strengthening, and developing multiple muscle groups.
• Workout Two: Plyometrics. Get ready to go airborne. Offering more 30 explosive jumping moves, this intense cardio routine will keep you in the air most of the time. Plyometrics, also known as jump training, has been proven to dramatically improve athletic performance. If your sport involves a ring, rink, field, court, or track, this training will give you the edge. Just be prepared to “bring it” for a full hour when you leap into this workout, because there is no letting up.
• Workout Three: Shoulders & Arms. Nothing rounds out the perfect physique like a pair of well-defined arms and shoulders, and with its potent combination of pressing, curling, and fly movements, this routine will leave you feeling stronger and looking sexier. Whether you want to build muscle mass or just slim and tighten what you’ve already got, these targeted shoulder and arm exercises will give you the results you want.
• Workout Four: Yoga X. Yoga is a vital part of any fitness regimen, and is an absolute must for an extreme program like P90X. This routine combines strength, balance, coordination, flexibility, and breath work to enhance your physique and calm your mind. Yoga X will leave you feeling energized, invigorated, and maybe even a little enlightened.
• Workout Five: Legs & Back. Get ready to squat, lunge, and pull for a total-body workout like no other. While the main focus of this workout lies in strengthening and developing the leg muscles (quads, hamstrings, glutes, and calves), there are also a handful of great pull-up exercises to give your legs a quick breather while you work the upper body.
• Workout Six: Kenpo X. Kenpo X was created to give P90X users a high-intensity cardiovascular workout packed with lots of punching and kicking combinations to improve balance, endurance, flexibility, and coordination. During this workout you’ll learn some of the most effective ways to defend yourself, while at the same time getting your body in peak condition.
• Workout Seven: X Stretch. Stretching is the one thing that will help you achieve a higher level of athleticism over a longer period of time. The X Stretch routine is an integral part of the program, as it helps prevent injuries and avoid plateaus. The extensive full-body stretches that make up this routine use disciplines from Kenpo karate, hatha yoga, and various sports to ensure that your body is fully prepared to meet all P90X challenges head-on.
• Workout Eight: Core Synergistics. Each and every exercise in the Core Synergistics workout recruits multiple muscle groups to build and support the core (lumbar spine and trunk muscles), while at the same time conditioning your body from head to toe. Loaded with a variety of fun, unique, and challenging exercises, this routine will get you moving in all directions to maximize your P90X results.
• Workout Nine: Chest, Shoulders, & Triceps. Packed with an array of moves that target both large and small muscles, this workout will do wonders for your upper body. In just one full sequence you’ll get a healthy dose of presses, flys, and extensions to push you to the brink. The results will be a stronger, leaner, and highly defined upper torso that will leave you looking awesome, with or without a shirt.
• Workout 10: Back & Biceps. With a host of curls and pull-ups, this routine will make it fun to flex those powerful biceps. But don’t worry, ladies–by using lighter weight, you can focus on toning and tightening these showcase arm muscles without adding the size that most guys covet. Additionally, this workout also provides some great back definition that everyone can appreciate. Regardless of your goals, you will achieve them in dramatic fashion if you dig in and max out your reps.
• Workout 11: Cardio X. This low-impact cardio routine can be used in a variety of ways to meet your P90X goals. Use it in addition to your standard P90X workload when you want to burn some extra calories, or as a substitute if your body needs a break from the program’s high-impact workouts. Whatever your reason for using Cardio X, you’ll find it a fun, full-throttle, fat-burning workout that will leave you feeling lean and mean.
• Workout 12: Ab Ripper X. The combination and sequence of movements in this unique workout taps into not only abdominal strength, but true core strength as well. Master these 11 highly effective exercises and you will achieve vital abdominal muscle strength to benefit your overall health and physical performance. You’ll also develop that highly coveted six-pack as you take Ab Ripper X to full throttle. It’s extreme work that’s better than any machine in any club.
The P90X workout program also includes a Fitness guides with essential tips for maximizing your workout and becoming fit. P90X users also get a workout calendar to set and track your goals. You will also receive online support tools to help you access fitness experts and peer support. The P90X program has been a top seller on Amazon for over 3 and ½ years, and has nearly 1000 reviews with a rating of over 4.5 out of 5 stars. Beachbody.com, the home site for P90X has around 3100 reviews, averaging 4.8 out of 5 stars. These are excellent ratings. If you finally want to put in the hard work to get fit, P90X might be for you! Good luck in you quest for better health!